The Red Heart of Jade (Dirk & Steele, Book 3)

The Red Heart of Jade - Marjorie M. Liu This is the 3rd book in the Dirk & Steele series. The book has 282 pages on the Nook. I liked this book the story moves at a fast pace but it took longer for me to get into the story then the first book did. I think that all the characters in the Dirk & Steele detective agency are interesting and like finding out more about them and their powers. This time it's clairvoyant Dean Campbell, set on the trail of a nonhuman criminal in Taipei who is flagrantly setting people on fire. Also in Taiwan is anthropologist Mirabelle "Miri" Lee, who makes a rare discovery at an archaeological site: a 4,000-year-old piece of red jade, embedded in the body of a mummy. When Dean and Miri meet up, it's a shock: Twenty years ago, they were best friends -- beginning to be teenage lovers -- when an accident killed Miri. Or so Dean thought. Now someone is being paid to kidnap Miri and steal the jade. On the way to finding the murderer, Dean discovers an old love, an older magic, and the beginnings of a new future.